Translator

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Top 5 Billboard Songs Review 5/5/12 xP


My reviews of the top five songs on the billboard! Enjoy! 
Links for the songs are on the band/singers' names.

           1. “Somebody That I Used to Know” by Gotye. Just by looking at the title, I can already tell this is going to be good. Did anyone notice the grammatical mistake? It should be “somebody who I used to know”, not “that I used to know”! Clearly they need to fire their editors. The tune seems really catchy from the beginning, but it’s lacking in variety. There is no differentiation throughout the song. All together this song made me want to go to sleep. Lead singer Gotye has a nice voice but he doesn’t vary it enough, or maybe it just blends in with the song. It’s just a bland song. I mean there’s no talent required to perform this song. It’s alright, I guess, but I don’t understand how it’s number one. The chorus can give you ear worms though, so I guess that’s why it’s so popular… but still, yawn.
Gotye
        2. “We are Young” by Fun. featuring Janelle MonĂ¡e. Okay, this is a great indie, alternative song which is a nice change from the pop that usually hits the top of the charts. It happens to be the first Alternative Rock song on the billboard since Coldplay “Viva la Vida”, so way to go Fun! It really does start off slow though, and stays mellow through the rest of the song. The lead singer, Nate Ruess, has great variation in his voice and a great flow. Although the lead singer may display musical talent, the music itself is nothing extraordinary. The tune is catchy enough, however, and I love the harmony part of this song. While it may not be the best song, it has a nice homely sound and embodies the feelings of the average American teen. Their other music is quite good, so you should check it out.

Fun! Really, fun!
       3. “Payphone” by Maroon 5 featuring Wiz Khalifa. Okay, so I’m going to admit that I haven’t heard this song at ALL on the radio! I’m not surprised Maroon 5 is on the top of the charts because of their widespread, growing popularity. However, the song seems sort of redundant. It has a nice flow, but is almost identical to other songs and does not really stand out from the rest of the pop songs out there. The song is quite depressing. I guess break-up hate songs are popular now? It is nice to sing to if you’ve just broken up with your ex, and the chorus is catchy (I seem to be detecting a pattern in top songs). It also contains a lot of curse words. Clearly Adam Levine had a tough break-up. Hope he feels less like sh*t. But I actually like this song, because it’s god-damn hilarious. Still, Maroon 5 has had many much better songs which deserve to be on the billboard. Like Moves like Jagger. Coldplay should be on this chart! What's wrong with the world today?!


Ooooooooh... why is he trying to bite her neck? Adam Levine=New Edward Cullen
                                                          
         4. “Glad You Came” by The Wanted. This song stands out from the rest. It reminds me of that of a boyband… an older boy band. It is SUPER catchy, and I guess would be a great partying song. The song is very suggestive. It’s basically about sex and drinking and all of those things this generation loves. The lead singer, Max George, has a latino sounding voice even though he is form England. His voice blends perfectly with the song, and is almost sexy. 0.o. It’s an upbeat song, but not at all original. In my opinion, their song “All Time Low” is way better and much more original. It seems like they are distancing themselves from that type of music and going more mainstream.

The Wanted... Obviously a boyband
         5. “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepson. Let me just say, the fact that this song is number five says worlds about our generation. Maybe I’m just biased against female singers, but I find her voice to be insanely obnoxious during the chorus. Her lyrics are amateur. She’s basically talking about how she’s going to give someone her number. Apparently she’s crazy for doing that? Even though she made it clear earlier in the song that she thinks he’s her soul mate. And on top of that, she missed him before she just met him. And he can’t even stand to look at her? This song has so many problems. The lyrics don’t even make sense. Does the world not listen to the lyrics of the songs they are mindlessly singing? I think this song is fitting of our society. But I think it’s a load of crap. The singing is fake and repetitive. The music has the same ring to it as every other song. I can only think that this song got on the top of the charts because… other girls feel this way about the boys they like? I don’t know. If someone could explain this song, I would be much obliged.
I have to admit Carly Rae Jepson is really gorgeous.

I would go through the top ten songs but after looking at the list consisting of Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, and One Direction, I think I might go insane if I continued listening to these songs. I don’t think I’ll be listening to any more songs on the billboard chart. This music isn’t right for me. It’s too fake, in my opinion. This was my first time doing a music review so I thought I’d stick with something widespread, but I’d rather listen to music I enjoy. I’ve learned my lesson through trial and error. And so with that, tune in for my next blog post on the Nickelback concert I will be going to!  

Thanks to MiriamChan for the edit.
Thanks to Meredith for catching a huge mistake!  

No comments:

Post a Comment